Old January 29th 09, 10:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Padraic Brown

Default Surge in number of fake pound coins -- Alarm at the Royal Mint as one in every 40 is found to be counterfeit

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 01:16:50 -0600, "Michael G. Koerner"
wrote:

I almost NEVER hear of any problems with counterfeit USA clad coins, including
the various $1s.

They are counterfeited -- the end result that I've seen is a brass
slug with OK design elements. No hint of even trying to get the
cladding right. Otherwise a little thinner and lighter than a real
coin and sounds rather different. I guess they figured (at the time)
that the things were new enough no one would really notice. Now with
everyone looking at the edges for errors, I'm sure the lack of
cladding would be noticed.

Padraic