Old March 15th 07, 04:52 PM posted to misc.invest.misc,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money,sci.econ
Michael G. Koerner

Default Obsolete Currency and Coin (was Least valuable currency)

Roger Hunt wrote:
KnowledgeSeeker wrote
Which brings up an interesting question. What happened/happens to the
currency & coin in a country when it converts to the Euro or when
there is a coup (or regime change) or when countries merge or when
countries split into more than one?

In the UK I understand that superseded banknotes can still be redeemed
on presentation to the Bank of England or possibly a local bank, but I'm
not so sure about pre-decimal currency of any sort. I think the date has
long passed that I might redeem a handful of 1918KN pennies, say, for
decimal money.

I wonder though, is a 1794 US Cent still legal tender in the shops over
there?

ALL coins produced and legally issued by the USMint remain legal tender at
their face value in the USA.

Yes, that 1794 Cent still retains its 1¢ face value, but I don't know if I'd
leave it in one of those penny trays by the register at the local Kwickimart.

:-p

--
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |