Old March 15th 07, 12:31 PM posted to misc.invest.misc,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money,24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.econ
Dik T. Winter

Default Least valuable currency

In article .com "RF" writes:
On Mar 14, 3:48 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"KnowledgeSeeker" wrote in message
ups.com...

Where can I find a list of the countries with the least valuable
currency? I am NOT looking for a place to do foreign exchange trading
to create fabulous wealth. So, please do not spam me. I am working
on a project that is, well... not commercial. So, I am looking for an
easy to use source of data. Thanks.

What may be a good list today with almost certainly be no longer a good
list some time from now. When figures go out of the window, countries
have the tendency to revaluate their currency, as was last done in
Turkey (they dropped the last six zeros).

Some of the components of what used to be Yugoslavia have undergone
reductions so drastic that it almost takes scientific notation (as in ten
to the minus x) to express them. Argentina, Brazil, Israel, and no doubt
others have experienced the same thing. Many Latin American countries have
given up entirely and now deem the U.S. dollar fit for their monetary

All of those components of Yugoslavia have revaluated and are now quite
stable.

Living in a country during a hyperinflation is an interesting
experience, to say the least. Prices changed daily, sometimes hourly
as the people sought to unload their worthless currency.

Reminds me of a story about the hyperinflation in Germany in the twenties.
Somebody entered a cafe to drink a coffee. He wanted to leave an hour
later, but at that time had not enough money to pay for his coffee. The
price had risen considerably during his stay.

The worst case of hyperinflation was in Hungary just after WWII. The
basic unit was the pengo, but after a fairly short time larger and
larger denomination banknotes got printed, so that at some time the
B. pengo was introduced (B standing for billion, as in European billion,
or US trillion). The largest banknote ever used there was
100 million B. pengo (or 10^20 pengo), see:
http://bankjegy.szabadsagharcos.org/xxcentury/p136.htm.
Prices doubled at that time in Hungary every 15 hours.