Old January 15th 04, 01:59 PM
Cathy Krusberg

Kris Baker wrote:

One point to note: USPS recently began putting all
mailers on notice that Media Mail can (and will be)
opened for inspection. This is not a new rule; First Class
and Priority (package First Class) requires a warrant
before inspection, but lower classes that cannot contain
private correspondence are not (and have never been)
exempt from inspection.

I was under the impression that Media Mail packages
*could* contain private correspondence -- IF said
correspondence was incidental to (i.e., relevant to) the
contents of the package. A change permitting such content
was made in postal service regulations in (IIRC) the
late 1970s, and the regulation permitting it was still
in force a few years ago when I asked a postal clerk for
an interpretation of the rule.

I'll admit I haven't tried to check current regulations,
because I'd probably be surfing the USPS site for half
an hour that I don't want to spend online at the moment.
Anybody know/can learn more about the current status of
this topic?

Cathy Krusberg
Internet: