Old August 31st 04, 04:47 AM
gr

Default bleach and books

As a newcomer to this group, I read with some interest a recent
discussion about the use of bleach (chlorine assumed) to clean the edges
of a book.
I noted a number of outraged responses, and this is reasonable for rare
books, but the individual was working with what he considered an
expendable book. I tend to want to preserve artifacts for future
generations, so cautions are advised for all in the use of various
chemicals. The responses overall ranged from useful, to distressed, to
explanatory. Mostly this newsgroup seems quite civil and informative and
I am glad it is available.
BTW; a comment of my own about bleach/chemicals. There is a parallel in
the photographic world for fiber based photo papers, and the long term
effects that fixer has on the photo image, because it clings tenaciously
to the paper fibers (unless washed for 15-60 minutes in continuously
running water) and then can attack the photo emulsion, discoloring both
the paper and the image.
gr