Old August 11th 06, 08:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Iagos Fool

Default What is a cameo finish?

"John Carney" wrote in message

"AlexBivin" wrote in message
ups.com...

Phil DeMayo wrote:
AlexBivin wrote:

As Bruce has already mentioned, the CAM of DCAM/UCAM designations are
usually found on proof coins. The only exception to this rule that I
have thus far found, is in SMS coinage from 1965-67......

You are forgetting early Morgan dollars which can exhibit quite heavy
cameo finishes.

Ah yes, how could I forget! I am sure there are others I have
overlooked as well. The Morgans in question are labeled as DMPL (deep
mirror proof like), just for those new to collecting and not familiar
with cameo contrast. Here is a question, as stated before, DCAM, CAM
and DMPL aren't grades per say, so they can be applied to any coin that
exhibits that particular propery (in theory). So has anyone ever seen
other coins (other than Morgans) designated DMPL?

I've seen several Columbian Commemorative Half dollars designated PL and
possessing a light cameo contrast.

John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mysite.verizon.net/jcarney44/coins/rccers.html

I have two quarter eagles with a bit of a cameo contrast. One is in an MS61
(or 62?) PL holder and the other is in a straight MS64 holder, but is quite
distinctly better than any other MS64 quarter eagle I have seen.

I have salivated over a few cameo proof seated halves. I'm going to get
myself one someday...

someday....

I think in the late 1800's, the US Mint folks took more pride in the art of
producing nice coins than at any other time. The Morgan dollar dies, if I
recall correctly, were soaked in acid (pickling solution) to produce a
frosted effect, and then polished to make the fields shine. This could have
been done to other dies. I just wish there were peace dollars where the
same level of effort had been expended in producing a beautiful coin.

IF