Old June 28th 08, 11:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
B.J. Herbison

Default The Samoa Dilemma

The changes are annoying, but I also find it annoying that different
choices for SCWC and SCWPM. Some differences are required (Euro notes
are issued in a common design, but Euro coins are issued in country
designs), but most are just arbitrary choices.

It would be nice if the editors of the two catalogs would get together
and come up with a common set of country names, spellings, and order.

B.J.

wrote:
Western was renamed Samoa in 1997. For a time, the SCWPM listed both
"countries". Samoa for issues 1985 and later, and Western Samoa for
pre-1985 issues.

I followed the SCWPM country listing by catologing my collection into
Western Samoa and Samoa. Howevr, the new edition dropped Samoa and
listed all notes under Western Samoa. I found it puzzling that the
SCWPM goes back to the old name instead of using the new name for the
country.

I'd think all notes for this country should be listed under Samoa
rather than under Western Samoa. I'm interested to know how others
resolve this problem. Do you list your notes under Samoa, under
Western Samoa or under both?

--
B.J. Herbison /
/ http://www.herbison.com/herbison/bj.html