Old June 24th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Giovanni C. Pettinaro

Default The Samoa Dilemma

Hello,
what about listing "Western Samoa" as "Samoa, Western"??? :-) In
this way, it will always be listed under S instead of W or S regardless
of what each edition of Krause catalog enlists it. The same would apply
for Korea (North or South), Yemen (Arab or Democratic Republic), and
similar split Countries. I use this method, which is in line with Krause
way of enlisting Countries. Have a look at my on-line complete list to
see what I mean.

Best regards,
Dr. Giovanni C. Pettinaro
(IBNS LM-166, LANSA 1173).

Pettinaro Bros. World Paper Money Market,
http://www.papermoneymarket.com

Western was renamed Samoa in 1997. For a time, the SCWPM listed both
"countries". Samoa for issues 1985 and later, and Western Samoa for
pre-1985 issues.

I followed the SCWPM country listing by catologing my collection into
Western Samoa and Samoa. Howevr, the new edition dropped Samoa and
listed all notes under Western Samoa. I found it puzzling that the
SCWPM goes back to the old name instead of using the new name for the
country.

I'd think all notes for this country should be listed under Samoa
rather than under Western Samoa. I'm interested to know how others
resolve this problem. Do you list your notes under Samoa, under
Western Samoa or under both?