Old March 6th 09, 10:19 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

Default Long-term storage of ballpoints

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
"Jimmy" writes:
"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
Ironically, the one time I did damage it wasn't because of the field
work, but because I left it in my pocket once and it went through
the dryer. That wasn't a pretty thing to see, though most of the
pen
was just fine.

Ouch! Did it cost a fortune to get it fixed up?

Hehe...well, the repair was certainly cheaper than buying a whole new
pen, but it wasn't cheap. The cheapest parts to repair were actually
just fine, but the most expensive part -- the nib -- was basically
toast, so I had to pay what I assume was top dollar (if cheaper than
the
whole pen) for a new nib. I'm just glad I did not have to buy a new
pen,
considering how much I like this one.

It's good to find one that suits you. I'm quite pleased with the way the
Sailor 14K one is working out. I even bought a spare while they were
cheap. (The exchange rate is a deterrent now.)

By "field", I just mean using it outside. I carry my favourite Sailor
fp
everywhere in my shirt pocket, but if I want to write myself a
reminder
in the street, or write on public transport (for example), I use the
ballpoint. It's more practical, and it will probably survive being
dropped.

Aah, I see. Yeah, if you are afraid of dropping it in those spots, I
guess you wouldn't want your MontBlanc to be used. But, then again, if
you are careful....

(Famous last words.)

There's an idea germinating here - "ruggedised" fountain pens. Think of
the pen equivalent of sports watches. I wonder if you can make a nib out
of tungsten carbide.

--
Alan