Old November 11th 05, 01:57 AM
Jonathan_ATC

Default Removing baked enamel from coin

"e" wrote in message
In article . net,

"spamnot" wrote:

Hello fellow collectors,
I have a nice quarter eagle that has the Indian painted and glossed over
with a baked enamel surface. Is there any effective way to easily remove
this without *too much* damage to the coin? The coin, in my opinion, is
already damaged due to the extra "artwork", but I would like to get it

back
to the look of just gold without scraping the metal surfaces. Has anyone
ever encountered this or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

i did a silver eagle like that by soaking it carefully in
laquer thinner. but thats just a bullion coin.

If it is "real" enamel, which is kiln-fired glass, laquer thinner won't
work.
To remove real enamel, one would have to suspend the coin vertically and
fire in a kiln until the enamel ran off the coin. But, I doubt the OP has
access to a kiln to do this.
That said, it could be the same kind of coloring you experienced, colored
epoxy resin. This COULD be removed by soaking in laquer thinner.

Jonathan_ATC