Old September 7th 04, 05:16 AM
A.E. Gelat

My recollection goes back to the 1930's, with French advertisements for
goods.

Tony

"Dik T. Winter" wrote in message
In article "A.E. Gelat"

writes:
Does anyone know where the use of prices ending in .95 or .99 started?

consider this a method of misleading simple-minded people who are apt

to see
79.99 as a price in the seventies, not the $80 it really is, if one

ignores
the missing penny. My first recollection of this was prices in French
advertisements.

My first recollection comes from the US. Say 1950s or 1960s, when an LP
was US$ 2.98 or somesuch. (Yes, I had a subscription to Down Beat at that
time.) At that time LP records overhere were DFL 12.95, 16.95 or

something
like that. It would not surprise me that, when you go back, you will find
much earlier examples.
--
dik t. winter, cwi, kruislaan 413, 1098 sj amsterdam, nederland,

+31205924131
home: bovenover 215, 1025 jn amsterdam, nederland;

http://www.cwi.nl/~dik/