Old May 19th 04, 02:26 AM
Harv

"Larry Stoltman" wrote in message
Hello everyone! I was wondering if any of you could tell me the best coin
magazines to subscribe to? I am interested in graded coins and would like
more info on coins in general. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Larry

Do you want to read page after page of ads in tiny print, with a few
interesting colums now and then, and a monthly price guide in the form of a
glossy magazine included once a month, or do you want to actually learn a
bunch of useful stuff, both about the history of coins, and modern stuff..

Those are gross generalities of course, but if the former, then I'd suggest
Coin World which is thirty something bucks for a six month subscription.
It's a tabloid sized magazine printed on newsprint.

If the latter, Join the ANA for thirty three bucks for a full year and
you'll get their very attractive magazine "The Numismatist" shoved into your
mailbox once a month along with a lot of other perks and benefits..

I get both. From week to week, Coin World is more similar than it is
different. It's useful if you want to look at a LOT of advertising. The
Numismatist is more different than it is similar from month to month. I
haven't measured column space but it seems to have more article content than
advertising. And not the same kind of advertising that Coin World has. It's
also full color and very high quality printing.

One thing I never see mentioned anywhere is that if you do join the ANA,
you'll see your name printed in about the second or third issue you receive
as a new member, along with all the other new members that joined the same
month you did.

Then again, not knowing how fat your wallet is, you can always get both.
There are other magazines out there, another weekly called "Numismatic News"
published by Kraus, which is Coin World's main competitor, and a couple of
glossies also both published by Krause called "Coins" and "Coin Prices."

You can pick up a free sample of any of these publications at most big coin
shows.

There are some other, more specialized coin publications, and some of the
big name dealers send out periodic newsletters for free, one of the best of
which is ANR's "The Numismatic Sun", whose issue #2 I just received. This is
Q. David Bowers' company and he's a living legend in the coin business, and
has a fluid, easy writing style that is very easy to like.. but those I
mentioned are the mainstream ones.

Harv