Old October 24th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
Richard C.

Default Burning Stamp Collection - Proper?

Excellent Point!

Thanks........
Richard (An APS member for 37 years and a dealer since 1956)

===============
"Phil Rhoade" wrote in message news:HvKTi.152534$Xa3.35869@attbi_s22...
When we make the decision to become "collectors", we assume a responsibility to be good caretakers of the material we collect, the "collectibles". If we are not good stewards of the material we collect, we deny others of this honor, privilege, and trust. We would not have the material we collect if our predecessor collectors had not preserved their collections.

Burning a collection is a gross violation of this responsibility.

Phil

Ned Kelly wrote:

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:06:08 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:
Proposition 88 found these unused words:
On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 14:48:21 -0700, "Richard C." wrote:

Troll or not, the OP is an idiot!

If it is truely worth something, then a dealer knows what it is worth.
Either that or sell it on eBay at least.
Burining a collectionis a childish act.

A dealer knows how long it takes to break up and sell a collection.

If the collection had anything of real value a dealer will pay a fair price.

NOT IN USA!! Or Canada either.

By "Fair" it is meant 'fair' in a business sense.

When you go to the market or computer store, you are paying 300% of the
actual cost of production of the 'item'. That's all the transport, handling
and operating costs added in.

A 'fair' price for a good collection is about 25% of the over $1 items.

Unfortunately, most of the larger dealers want to steal the collection for 2%
- not 25%!!

IF the collection is highly specialized ans has the rarities, then it
becomes more.

Your points above are pretty correct.

Unfortunately, in Canada are very few dealers, and to ship to an unknown
dealer risks being swindled, as I have been in the past.

As for auctions, most of them are just as bad at cheating consignors as many
of the dealers kicked out of APS.

As for charities, there are very few that are worth considering, based on the
interests of the donor.

With no family interested, and no fair cash offers, at least by burning, some
satisfaction in knowing that some crooked dealer will not profit, is the best
that can be achieved.

If someone has other suggestions, I am sure many others will also welcome
them beside the OP.