Old October 3rd 05, 08:17 AM
Noodler

It's not a claim. The Iraqi Indigo ink was modeled upon samples obtained
from that actual election...so it is EXACTLY what I meant it to mean.

What amazes me most about the modern era is that ANY exercise of free
expression OFFENDS somebody egregiously. At least the people who are
"offended" by the Tiananmen label have not (yet) threatened to kill me as
those who loathe the Ottoman Azure/Rose labels have. Another interesting
thing about the nuts who loathe Ottoman Azure/Rose - they are not even
Turkish citizens but reside in one of the emirates!!! Some of those
claiming to be the most tolerant people on earth are also the very same who
are the most easily and deeply offended by harmless perceptions...such as
the woman who was offended by "Beaver" ink - the only blue spectrum brown
ink on the market today, like a beaver's tail - not the fur. Did Carter's
ever have a problem with their "Beaver Brown" back in the 1930s?
Incredible.

Many of the people who use Iraqi Indigo never even bother with the name - I
see a lot of references to "Lap-Indigo" from those who mix it with Legal
Lapis to make a royal blue-black combo. They don't seem to get hung up on
the label and instead just use the ink. If you read the label, it is
nothing more than the very basis of our country's political heritage dating
back to its founding. Then again "All men are created equal" or the even
more controversial and shocking (my goodness, get the police and lock me
up!!) "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created
equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable
Rights" would open up an even bigger can of worms with the PC crowd.

As for the "Hiroshima" reference - I'm not nuts. It is comparing apples and
oranges - because Iraqi Indigo was made in direct reference to a very
historic use of ink...not a claim or innuendo - but was actually modeled on
the ink used in that first free election in Mesopotamia in 5,000 years.
Sometimes it is "that simple".

Though Antietam is a historical reference that is admittedly outright
controversial - it is a historical reference from the era the ink was
replicating in terms of certain iron based dip pen inks of the Civil War
period. That specific historic color was being replicated. A bottle of
"David's Star" ink made in the same year as the battle of Antietam was also
involved in that inspiration - it was the only successful rehydration from
that period. I had asked Anne Poe Lehr about Antietam several months before
her passing (those in the Long Island Pen Club know who she was) and she
strongly encouraged the use of that name - being a Civil War buff herself.
Too many people like the name to change it anyway - and I think of her each
time I see it now.

The only other name that can bring about a PC shock would be Verdun - a play
on the words for "green" and a very large battle that took place in WW I.
"A durable enough ink for the men at Verdun." was scripted on a prototype
label and then removed. Calling certain inks "bulletproof" was due to Greg
Clark's ink tests and articles on "bullet proof" inks. I'm sorry that the
names are too strong for some - but enough people like them to keep them!

"*david*" wrote in message
ups.com...

Noodler wrote:

*bad taste* (Tiananmen, Iraqi
Indigo...).

The first free elections in 5,000 years within the fertile crescent,
whereby
if an ordinary citizen dared to show that color upon their fingers they
risked death for themselves and their families by terrorists simply
because
they exercised their new right to vote. Bad taste? That is a heroic
color
to the people who risked their very lives with it - worthy of at least
some
recognition somewhere! I know the PC like to overlook the fact that
those
people were risking their lives to vote, and took even greater amounts of
courage to show their fingers in public despite the threat of the death
that
surrounded them - but I never will. Those people deserve our respect at
the
very least - and if anything was gained by the great sacrifice there...it
was the freedom to vote.

Tiananmen in bad taste? It will never sell on the Chinese mainland
because
it expresses a desire to be free of tyranny. It is the most auspicious
of
Chinese colors and the label reflects the heroism of a lone individual
who
for a moment in history single handedly defied the tyrants in Beijing
before
the eyes of the entire globe. Bad taste? It is too bad we don't
remember
Tiananmen Square in 1989 more often!

Is the love of freedom now un-PC? Is the love of freedom now a sin???!!!

Nathan, it just isn't that simple. The fact that you think it *is* that
simple, is the problem in a nutshell.
But I like your ink, and I don't have a problem buying it because the
bottle is in a drawer in my house and not on display at work.

I'm just hoping the next colour isn't called Hiroshima Mushroom Cloud
Gray, because that one I wouldn't buy, even if I did like the ink, and
even if you claimed it represented "freedom" :-(