Old November 9th 05, 12:45 AM
William W Western

Default Last thing heard before tape splice broke

sometimes it's hard to resist trying out the tape and seeing if the
original splice will hold up

Indeed. Or at least to get to the sensing tape splice if your
machine is without fast forward.
...all I can say is, don't wander too far

from the deck, as that's when nasty tape jams occur-
Course the doorbell usually rings just before that happens and
you are off dealing with some canvassing goober while tape starts piling up.
I love using an xacto knife and steel straightedges, so I will continue
to make home-made pads. I actually used a sort of trippin effort in a Zep II
cart that I have had since it was released. The cart seemed pretty intent on
shattering, so I yanked out the old one and cut a fat piece of foam (covered
with tape though) and stuck it in place. Works fine. Or as fine as an 8
track needs to work.
WWW