Old August 24th 14, 07:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

Default valuating stamps

On 8/23/2014 2:45 AM, helloworld wrote:

In addition to the previous good answer...

through unpredictable happenstance, I happened to be in a position to "inherit"
a sizeable collection of stamps, perhaps numbering about 3000-4000 items.
I am not a regular collector, so all shorts of questions come up, at moments.

For a general worldwide collection, 3-4000 is small. I started with
packet of 5000 different, under $50 retail. Retail is a bit higher now;
a high price dealer is selling 2000 for 35$.
http://www.mysticstamp.com/viewProducts.asp?sku=M3738

As of now, there is no need or incentive to sell or exhibit anything,
yet I would like to know what is their value, in either the monetary or,

..01 per stamp if all different and in decent condition up to $s per
stamp if a very selective collection. Most of the valuable stamps are
over century old, which is easiest to tell if they are properly mounted
on album pages. But some 19th century stamps are still common relative
to demand.

the philatelic sense - I can appreciate that, as well!

* What is the established practice when you are in such situation?
* What would you do to assess a 1000 stamps in bulk and no frills way?
* And what is the easy/cheap way to store them, to defer any act in the future?

Avoid moisture, especially if stamps have glue on the back.
Also avoid insects and light, especially sunlight.