Old July 21st 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter

Default Evangeline by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

lashleyl06 wrote:

I have this book in my possession it is a small used book is in good
condition for being 113 years old. It measures 6" X 4". The front
cover and back cover are worn but the spine is intact, no pages loose
or falling out. It is not moldy or smell funny. It has an
inscription on the inside page that reads "Charlie from Ellen Dec 25
1896". This book was published in 1893 by Thomas Y Crowell &
Company.

Can someone tell me about this book, is it worth selling or should i
put it back on the shelf for another 100 years? Where does one go to
get a value on a book? Thanks

The first edition was published with about 2100 copies in 1847 (nearly 50 years
before your copy) by Ticknor and Fields, a Boston publishing house. The second
edition was dated 1848 (number of copies unknown) with a third edition the same
year with 1100 copies. Bibliography of American Literature, 12089.

By the time you get to reprints 50 years after the initial publication, value
will have decreased substantially unless it is a finely illustrated limited
edition.

Keep it another 100 years.

Francis A. Miniter