Old August 27th 04, 12:41 AM
Bruce Hickmott

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:52:48 -0400, (Jim Wild) is alleged to
have written:

I understand now, how these Morgans are a coveted collection. I have an
interest in starting a collection of these in the future. However some
of these dates are just unreal. I was wondering why I could not find a
place that actually has 1892-1895 for sale. Well, no wonder! I went to
the PCGS price list to have a look at some of these things. The 1892-S
is listed at $225,000 in MS-66. Yikes! The 1895-P has a mintage of
12,880 according to the red book. The 1895-P is not even listed in PCGS.

And if you auction a true MS66 1892-S, you'll get more than $225,000! Morgans
are very hot, unless you're quite rich, give up the idea of collecting a set of
these in Unc. Even in AU50, the 1893-S will set you back $20,000 or so.

You likely looked only at the PCGS business strike listing. The 1895 is proof
only. Supposedly, 12,000 business strikes were made and 880 proofs but only
proofs are known. It is assumed that all the business strikes were melted,
though Breen rumored one in his encyclopedia.

But with this coin collecting, I suppose that there are no rules, just
like cooking chili.

Yup. Collect whatever you darn well please!

Bruce