Old July 17th 06, 07:49 AM posted to alt.conspiracy.new-world-order,rec.collecting.paper-money,alt.conspiracy,uk.finance,uk.legal
john2

Default All banknotes to have a 2D barcode?

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 15:24:21 +0100, Joe Random wrote:

Dave wrote:

Sorry, I just thought that RDIF tags could have a similar function- if
they could be given a unique signiature.

RDIF tags? Have never heard of them. Could you elaborate?

Joe R.

The proper acronym is probably "RFID", standing for Radio Frequency
IDentification.

These are small rice-sized units which are surrounded by a flat coil
antenna. I don't know if bills could hold them or not, though it's
theoretically possible. Cards can hold them easily; I've got one now for
access into my workplace, for example.

By construction all RFID tags should have a unique code. (Admittedly,
there's no real simple way to verify this.)

The plan is to tag everything in a warehouse or store with such a tag,
which would simplify inventory control. It also leads to some interesting
and rather troubling questions -- such as how does one really know that
the RFID sitting in one's shirt has been truly deactivated? (Assuming the
RFID's in the actual *shirt*, as opposed to the plastic ink-protector unit
designed to spray ink all over the fabric if removed without the special
tool.)

RFID tags cost around 5 cents and are not very flexible mechanically.
What's wrong with the free barcode.

john2