Old July 25th 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default A chance for new $500 and possibly $200 Federal Reserve Notes?

Drago the Wolf wrote:
Would you actually walk down the street with a $1000 or $500 bill in
your pocket? And feel safe about it?

As a matter of fact, yes, I would walk down the street with a $500, or
$1,000 bill in my pocket. Who needs to know its even on me? What? Do
you think I'm going to go walking down the street singing "I got a
$1,000 bill in my pocket, do da, do da" or talk about having a huge
amount of money, to anyone?

Bill Cosby had a routine about doing just that after learning karate.
Unfortunately, the guy who attacked him was a midget and threatened to blow
Bill's kneecap off if he didn't hand over the dough.

The point is, I would feel MUCH safer caryying a couple $1,000 bills,
than a bunch of $100 bills bulging in my pocket. Thieves will see that
bulge, and think or know that you are carrying a wad of cash. I would
like to put a couple $1,000s in my wallet, and call it a day. No need
to let anyone now I'm carry it. The only real time I could see a
mugger get you, is if they see you pay for a $500 or less purchase,
and you pay with a $1,000 bill, and the mugger sees the cashier hand
you a $500 bill or a $100 and a couple $200s and some other odd change
back, then waits to steal that remaining $500 and some dollars from
you.

There are times when only cash will do the job. Go to a coin show where
nobody knows you, and it's the universal solvent. In certain states the
dealer will sell to you for a lower price if he's inclined to ignore sales
tax requirements.

James
'ducking for cover as the usenet morality police muster'