Old July 25th 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default A chance for new $500 and possibly $200 Federal Reserve Notes?

On Jul 25, 5:02*pm, Drago the Wolf wrote:
Would you actually walk down the street with a $1000 or $500 bill in your
pocket? *And feel safe about it?

As a matter of fact, yes, I would walk down the street with a $500, or
$1,000 bill in my pocket. Who needs to know its even on me? What? Do
you think I'm going to go walking down the street singing "I got a
$1,000 bill in my pocket, do da, do da" or talk about having a huge
amount of money, to anyone?

The point is, I would feel MUCH safer caryying a couple $1,000 bills,
than a bunch of $100 bills bulging in my pocket. Thieves will see that
bulge, and think or know that you are carrying a wad of cash. I would
like to put a couple $1,000s in my wallet, and call it a day. No need
to let anyone now I'm carry it. The only real time I could see a
mugger get you, is if they see you pay for a $500 or less purchase,
and you pay with a $1,000 bill, and the mugger sees the cashier hand
you a $500 bill or a $100 and a couple $200s and some other odd change
back, then waits to steal that remaining $500 and some dollars from
you.

Tom

Get over it "dud".

The federal government has spent billions of $$$ in the last eight
years to combat "money laundering".

Issuing a new $500 or $200 would be the same as shooting all those
efforts in the foot.

Ain't gonna happen (that is, short of an overtly hyerinflationary
scenario).

When you send these sorts of "letters" to Congresspersons, you're
likely getting placed on a list of dubious persons who need to be
"rounded up" in the event of a "national emergency".

oly