Old July 25th 09, 02:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Default A chance for new $500 and possibly $200 Federal Reserve Notes?

"Drago the Wolf" wrote in message
Here we go again. How I love annoying some of you guys with this
issue, however, those who are serious with me, I'd like to talk $200
and $500 bills with you.

Okay, the Obama Administration and Treasury are printing more and more
$100 bills, as time goes by, the demand gets higher, so, does anyone
here think that, maybe after they print a large amount of the
colorized NexGen $100 bills, that, maybe they will consider printing
at least $500 bills again, if not $200 bills?

Take a walk through your neighborhood and survey your neighbors about how
they would be most apt ot pay for a $100, $200 or $500 purchase. I'd be
surprised if any answered that they would go to the bank for a bill of that
denomination (assuming all these amounts were available). Also, I doubt you
could document evidence of a significant increase in demand for $100 bills
among the population. I would imagine that these bills last for many years
longer than ones, fives, and tens.

I wrote my Congressmen on issuing new $200, $500, and $1,000 bills
again, just because of the fact of the demand for $100 bills steadily
rising.

Again, can you document this increase?

So, I know we've been though this talk before, but, with the
increasing demand for $100 bills overseas, where there are 200 and 500
Euro notes, does anyone here think that maybe, in around 2011 or so,
we may get a $500 bill back into circulation? As I said, if they are
cranking out larger and larger ammounts of $100 bills, a $500 bill
would seem more practical, cost effective, and easier to keep up with
the demand for U.S. currency.

So are you saying that the increasing demand for $100 bills is from
overseas? From foreign nationals or from US citizens? $50 bills can't
satisfy this demand? Last time I was overseas, the banks and cambios were
more reluctant to accept our $100 bills than lesser denominations. I
presume this is no longer the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was
a lingering "$2 bill syndrome" of distrust in many minds.

I also did write a letter to President Obama about issuing new $200,
$500, and $1,000 bills, not only to keep up with the demands for U.S.
currency overseas, but also to help with inflation for those (like me)
who prefer to use paper over plastic. I will post the reply here when
I get it, as I always do.

With Obama, you might be more successful suggesting a billion-dollar bill.
Why mess with pesky million dollar bills?

Oh, and I don't care if they put my name in the "This guy is a nutcase
file" and my letters in the "circular file" as some of you may call
it.