Old August 4th 06, 03:13 AM posted to alt.music.deep-purple,alt.collecting.8-track-tapes,rec.antiques.radio+phono,alt.music.led-zeppelin
Gary Tayman

Default 66FOURDOOR FRAUD ALERT!

You really don't have much to keep yourself occupied; do you?
Scott.

Personally I think they're working together to increase sales.

In addition to this newsgroup, I subscribe to a private group related to
classic Thunderbirds. In addition to radios I chat with fellow T-Bird
owners from around the world. Hold that thought.

Four years ago I "repaired" an AM/FM radio for a 65 T-Bird -- worst car
radio ever made, but it was an easy audio problem and I got it playing
beautifully (considering what it is) for a very reasonable price. Three
years later -- two years out of warranty -- he called me up to tell me he's
having a problem -- after sitting outside for three years, he's just now
getting around to installing it in the car. It now has a problem where
reception pops in and out. I told him I normally wouldn't mind checking it,
except that it sounds like the elements got to the IF cans over time and
corroded the caps in the bases. On these IF's this problem is virtually
impossible to fix. In fact, I no longer offer service on AM/FM radios
partly because of this very problem -- and other dealers are refusing them
as well for the same reason. I offered him a big discount on a conversion,
which is the only worthwhile solution to this problem. He got really nasty
because (1) I didn't warn him three years ago that this was gonna happen,
and (2) I should be offering the conversion to him for free.

Well -- yet another year went by, then one day out of the clear blue, he got
on the T-Bird message forum and lambasted me to pieces. Of course many
happy customers responded, but the real surprise came when several others on
the list suddenly sent me their radios for conversion! I had a big boost in
business that day!

--
Gary E. Tayman/Tayman Electrical
Sound Solutions For Classic Cars