Old February 17th 11, 02:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default First Spouse

On Feb 16, 2:06*pm, Jud wrote:
On Feb 16, 7:49*am, "Bremick" wrote:

I began ordering an annual proof set in 1953. *It cost a buck something and
I don't remember if there was a shipping charge. *I do recall typically
having to order early in the year and then waiting six months or so for the
set to arrive. *At least we've come some way since then. * I never thought
about ordering a mint set since shiny examples of all the latest coins could
always be found in circulation. *As you probably remember, there was no MS
or Gem BU. *If it was mint-shiny it was uncirculated and worthy of a place
in an album.

Today, I decide which sets I want to order from the Mint and once they're
all available I'll place a combined order with one $4.95 shipping charge.
Cheaper that way than with many mail order companies.

Correct me if I am wrong (yeah! Like you need to be told that in this
group!)
Back in the 'good ole days', you would place your order for the proof
set, and as Bruce said, you would get it months later. Seems like they
arrived in December. This year is the earliest I have ever gotten my
proof sets.

Question is...were these minted to order? If a million people ordered
proof sets, did they make a million (+ a few extras)?

IIRC (which is often not the case), the price was $1.91 or $2.10 per
proof set, including postage. Not bad for 91¢ face value, especially
when the silver content is currently worth close to $6.

I do my mint ordering at the end of each month to defray shipping
charges as well.

Not quite sure what you mean about "silver content is currently worth
close to $6."???

Right now today (2/16/2011), any 90% silver U.S.A. half dollar alone
is worth $10.00; the silver quarter and silver dime have proportional
values, of course.

The people who bought 1964 and earlier proof sets directly from the
Mint are quickly passing from the scene too, not many of those folks
left who still have their original sets purchased way back then.

oly