Old January 17th 05, 04:48 PM
Ed Hendricks

"NoSpam" wrote in message
news:EyQGd.106416$dv1.49686@edtnps89
"stonej" wrote
http://www.sabcnews.com/africa/south...,95231,00.html

I recently learned about countermarkings on coins and I know only of
another 'political' case involving Ireland and the resistance
movement. Is there any other political countermark cases for coins?

I have a Chinese dollar coin which is counterstruck on the obverse with
Hammer and Sickle in canceled circle and many Chinese characters and on the
reverse with Hammer and Sickle in canceled circle and the words "China
Freedom Dollar, Support the Federation, save the Students". I believe the
coin to be from the Szechuan-Shensi Soviet District of China circa 1933-34
(KANN#650K) and the counterstrikes to have been made in support of the
students who protested at Tiananmen Square in 1989 and was sold to
Westerners to raise money for their cause. If anyone is interested, I will
try to locate it and scan/photograph it.

--
©¿©¬
~