Old February 4th 11, 07:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie[_2_]

Default This is the most absurd thing I have ever seen...

"Bremick" wrote in message

Beside the fact that the "dollar" pictured in your link has to be one of the
biggest pieces of over-hyped, contrived crap in a long time, don't you have
anything else important going on in your life besides salivating over and
defending NCM-produced doodads? Most serious coin collectors would be
embarrassed to own one of these phony, mechanical "tribute" pieces, let alone
defend the company that makes and promotes them with that solemn announcer,
patriotic music, and cleverly crafted, albeit misleading claims. The whole
thing would be laughable if not for the subject matter.

Every effort is made to make potential buyers think this piece of ****
"commemorative dollar" is a US Mint product.
There is nothing on the coin that states its authorizing authority is Liberia.
Not to mention that the quantities of actual gold and silver used is ludicrously
miniscule and of doubtful origin.
I've seen the TV ads and to say that they are misleading is a wild
understatement.
I can't imagine that anybody would want such a piece of crap in their home but
apparently NCM is finding a market for them, which brings to mind the H. L.
Mencken quote "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the
American public".
OTOH one would think that with the magnitude & multiplicity of problems facing
the USA our Congress critters would have better things to do.