Old March 18th 12, 08:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Franking questions about a letter posted in US

"Terry Reedy" wrote in message
On 3/18/2012 1:05 PM, Blair (TC) wrote:
On Mar 18, 11:28 am, "Victor wrote:
The question refers to a letter apparently having the C6 format (4.5 x
6.4 -
have nothing in hand to measure it) that contains just a sheet of paper
(hence low weighted).

It was sent from and to New York City.

I wonder:

- Why was it franked twice, at two different dates?

- Why are the rates different?

- Why has the value on one metering stamp 3 leading zeros and it has
only 2
on the other (maybe different postage meters used)?

The scan of the right side (about 1/3) of the letter, zoomed, is shown
he

http://www.artonstamps.org/Countries...st-class-lette...

To start , the two meter impressions came from two different types
of Pitney-Bowes machines.

On two different dates. Perhaps the envelop was part of an earlier
mailing, but misfed to the machine, and pulled out to be reused. Perhaps
someone was unsure if upside-down markings are valid.

Could we see the whole envelope, please?
This might give us some evidence as to the rates.

tjr

Note:

45 cents is the US domestic rate for a first class letter up to 1
ounce.
(maximum size of up to 11.5 inches x 6.125 inches x .25 inches)

90 cents is the US domestic rate for a large envelope up to 1 ounce.
(maximum size of up to 15 inches x 12 inches x .75 inches)

Blair

Blair, Terry,

Many thanks for your answers - very useful, as usually.

First of all, not being used to US customary units, I misjudged the size of
the letter. Actually, the size is 4-1/2" x 10-3/8" (114 mm x 263 mm). It
corresponds then to the Commercial Envelope Size No. 11. I'm sorry for my
error.

From the note of Blair (see above) I deduct that the correct rate for such a
letter is 45 cents, which corresponds to the meter impression found where it
belongs, in the upper right corner of the envelope.

I'm tempted to agree with Terry's assumption that the envelope was reused,
after being initially incorrectly franked upside-down and in a wrong
position (on the right of the address window). I suppose that it was franked
for a heavier letter, which could explain the higher rate. This accident,
even if unhappy, will reduce a bit the deficit of the USPS, because it is
just as the wrong meter stamp was bought by a stamp collector, and therefore
(usually) didn't require servicing :-)

Thanks to Terry (thank you!) I learned today that the equivalent of the
German word Schleimball exists in English, in a very similar form. I have
no idea how the last dances look like because anyway the diagnosis was set
and the condition is incurable.

And last but not least, I have two good news to sha two of my articles
will be published this year by the newspaper of the AIJP. The bad news is
that I have first to write the second one. :-)

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/