Old December 17th 03, 06:43 PM
Tracy Barber

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:42:54 -0700, Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net
wrote:

snip

I totally disagree sir. I am NOT responsible for what my father or
grandfather did.

But we still have to eat the poop generated by said acts. If we
choose to do so.

Take the American Indian for instance. We put him on
a piece of crappy land in most cases and gave them a monthly stipend for
life. We gave them homes, vehicles and other tangible things, then left
them to fend for themselves. We gave them everything of monetary value
saying "Oh, those poor Indians, they need to be compensated so lets give
them money." Caca, now many are drunks, only live on the reservations
because they can do so for free and don't have to work, but did we help
them?

You said it - they choose to do so. Whatever reason they choose to do
so is their business. Some of them are drunks because they choose to
be that way. Some are very prominent people in the surrounding
communities. So that reasoning applies to them as well?

You got it - they can live there for free.

Many still believe that some of the reservations have spiritual
connections, some don't.

So, you're telling us that these people cannot get an education,
cannot get a job, cannot better themselves if they want to? WITH the
help of the U.S. govt? Yes-sir-ee-boB they can!

Nope, we cheapened it by giving monetary value, not things of
real value, like education, equality and most importantly - DIGNITY.

In the beginning, I agree. That was then. That was 100 years ago.
By now, they could be doing things differently, but they choose not
to. Some of them live pretty well, considering the gambling stuff
that goes on there. Not all is poverty, gloom and doom.

We took their pride and gave them money instead. Morals and money do not
go together and throwing more money at an issue rarely resolves the
issue, it just strings it along further and further until its eventually
forgotten about.

I don't think it'll ever be forgtten. I, for one, (and I'm not Native
American), will not let it slide even it's words only action. I am no
longer blind to the Roy Rogers / Custer movies of the past. I have
been informed of these struggles.

I can't help out except for keeping a positive 'tude about it all. I
do have some Native American friends. They are no different than me
or you.

I'm simply stating my opinion in rebuttal to someone elses opinion,
nothing more, nothing less.

'Twasn't an opinion. Just a reference on a web site. Used to bolster
the "hysteria" movement apres Pearl Harbor.

I sincerely hope I didn't **** anyone off
but if so, oh well. We can disagree and still be friendly can't we?

Oh... oh... oh... go soak a stamp! :^P

I don't hate or dislike others because we don't see eye to eye and expect
others to be the same.

That may get you into trouble, in UseNet. Believe me, not everyone is
on the same playing field!!!!! But, I, for one, have no problem with
our little debates here. We're a heck of a lot more friendly than
some other groups I've frequented.

Happy Holidays.

Same to you and yours. Seems like a good one so far.

Tracy Barber