Old August 16th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael

Default What is a cameo finish?

I stand corrected on the cost. While I firmly believe modern UNC
commes are matte proofs...it probably does cost more for the diemakers
to mask out the mirror surface with masking tape to allow for
sandblasting of the frosted areas. This I have seen in person.

Phil DeMayo wrote:

Proof dies are also sandblasted to achieve the cameo finish. The fields
are highly polished, the dies chromium plated to extend die life and
each die is used to strike a limited number of coins before being
retired or refinished.