Old November 13th 05, 02:01 AM
Jeff R

Default Removing baked enamel from coin

"Jonathan_ATC" wrote in message
ink.net...

I am a metalsmith as a hobby. I have not worked much in enamel, so last
night at one of our get-togethers I asked some folks who work in enamel

for
a living.
Yes, you can suspend the coin in a kiln and heat it to the melting point

of
the enamel and it will just drip right off. Just wanted to clear that up
because it was said that would not work. If it is epoxy resin, it will

just
burn off.

That was me who said that.
I am also a metalsmith, and I have sold my enamelled pieces, so I guess I
could claim professional status (though I usually don't.)

I continue to question the "drip off" contention. I reckon that a lot of
enamel would remain within the devices of the coin - and that capillary
action would keep a fair bit on the flat bits.

What do I base this on?

I have, in the past, enamelled dishes on both sides. Picture a small copper
dish - say 3" diameter. Many times I have enamelled the base (the convex
side) then, by carefully suspending the dish above the kiln floor on sharp
ceramic spikes, have managed to enamel the inside, which is now
rightside-up.

None of the enamel on the base has ever "dripped" off, though some will burn
off (over-fire) around the rim.

I still doubt that enamel will run and drip off the piece.
Maybe if you shake it vigorously - not an option within my litle kiln.

I'd still go for the heat-and-quench option, as I said before.

That said, I was told that the better way was what was described here,

heat
it with a torch and quench it and the enamel will pop right off.

Yup.

BTW - either method would leave the poor coin in a sad and sorry state.
I agree with the earlier poster who suggested selling it and buying an
undamaged coin.

Cheers.
--
Jeff R.