Old May 2nd 04, 11:26 PM
Bob E.

Dennis Lavin wrote:

So I had a gallon of HVAC coil brightner/cleaner on hand, sprayed a
little on the "test switch", and within seconds it started to remove
years of tarnish & corosion. I got brave and took the keyboard
outside( as this stuff stinks) and sprayed each switch asy, and presed
each switch about 40 times before they freed up. I ended up cycling
them about 80 times each. Then I cleaned out all the loose "junk" with
some non-clorinated brake cleaner spray, air dried them with
compressed air, let dry again then out in the sun,applied come Caig
De-oxit as the final coat. Let it dry again.Put it back in the S100,
works like a charm now.

I never thought those switches would ever come clean, but they
actually look like shiny new copper contacks now!( they were black
before)

Well, I think they may have been silver-plated at one time...
If that HVAC cleaner stuff is what I think it is (I was using some
many years ago, and got it in my eyes! The pressure sprayer I was
using sprang a leak...) it is somewhat acidic. Cleans corrosion off
of bare aluminum condensers great, leaving fresh, bare aluminum. I
hope it didn't remove any plating from your switch contacts.

--Bob

Bob Ellingson
Halted Specialties Co., Inc.
http://www.halted.com
3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)