Old April 21st 04, 05:01 PM
BLandolf

eb wrote:
From a newbie - I moved up from a few cheap fountain pens to a
Waterman Phileas with a medium nib, which is terrific. I used one
cartridge, and then used the converter. I filled it with black Quink
I bought from Staples and am very satisfied with the results. While
I'm not looking to change inks, I was wondering if there are thoughts
on other good black inks for this pen, i.e., is Waterman ink better
and worth a separate purchase? How about other brands? Thanks

Hi eb:
There are many good black inks out there but none "better" than Quink,
and Quink is a *much* better value than most. Waterman also is a very
good ink, but it's a little more expensive and certainly no better than
Quink. Both are tried and true inks that have been around for many
decades. Ya never hear complaints about their quality (e.g., gunking up
pens, stuff precipitating out of them, creepy crawlers growing in them,
etc.). KCat mentioned Aurora... Aurora is a very nice, high-quality
black ink, but you'll pay more than twice the price of Quink for it.
You're probably getting Quink for around $5.50 per 57ml bottle at
Staples... something like that anyway. Aurora will cost you around $10
for a 45ml bottle. Doesn't hurt to experiment, but I don't think you'll
find a better black at any price and given that it's so inexpensive, I
could understand why you might want to make it your standard black. ---
Bernadette