Old October 8th 08, 07:39 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

Default Maintaining Antique Dip Nibs

In ,

On 2008-10-06, Aaron W Hsu wrote:
Hey all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for guides or just plain old
advice for what I would need to do to maintain antique or new old
stock nibs? I know that I take basic precautions, like making sure
that the nibs are cleaned after use, but I was curious if anyone else
had any guides or advice that might extend beyond the normal, "Make
sure you clean your nibs," advice, which is pretty broad.

The only thing I can think of is that you might want to test
one of the firearm metal protectants on a cheap replaceable
nib.

Or in general, try to head off corrosion -- dry the nibs quickly after
cleaning, and polish the metal if it starts looking dull or tarnished
(before tiny dark spots start appearing, which of course are really little,
but growing, corrosion pits in the underlying metal). If there are nibs
that sit in storage most of the time, I guess you could wipe them down with
oil and clean it off if you decide to use them.

Brian