Old July 8th 04, 04:19 PM
Peter Smith

On 8 Jul 2004 06:54:22 -0700, (Michael E.
Marotta) wrote:

Peter Smith wrote:
What you have there looks like a Nuremburg Jetton, And if I am not
mistaken it is a Hans Krauwinckel Type (1586 - 1635)

Wow, man! I am impressed. Was that hard to do? I mean, I had a devil
of a time making much of anything out and at that I was looking for
the standard abbreviations, which I did not see.

Is there a book?

And do you think you need to explain what a Jetton is? ("The king was
in the counting house, counting out his money..." Well, that was fine
for HRM, of course, but you could not trust just anyone.)

Michael
... as a token of our esteem...

Hi, once again

A bit more info for those who like a bit more info

Jettons, or reckoning counters, were probably first used in France in
the early 13th century and were in use in England by the reign of
Edward I (1280). Early English ones were sometimes produced from the
same dies as Edward's new coinage, but in bronze instead of silver.
Also the majority of English counters were pierced to distinguish them
from their sterling counterparts These jettons are quite scarce.

The English series continued throughout the reigns of Edward II &
Edward III. The earlier counters continued to be of sterling size,
and either imitated the contemporary pence or bore interesting
medieval devices. The portrait on these tokens did not always bear a
king's head crowned. Several counters bear a mitred head rather than
a crowned, indicating ecclesiastical usage (possibly the forerunner to
Boy Bishop tokens)

Counters of Edward III's reign tend to be larger and thicker than
earlier issues. Particulary interesting are the wardrobe counters
issued for use on the chequer board of the Kings wardrobe, an office
responsible for the personal finances of the royal household.

By the 14th century, French & Flemish jettons began to appear in
larger quantities and remain common until German jettons from
Nurenburg replaced them in the 16th century.

It is the 16th century Nurenberg jettons which are most common (many
have been found at the sites of abbeys) and there are many varieties.
The commonest of all depicts the Imperial Orb (Reichsapfel - The city
emblem) set within a double tressure of three curves and three angles
on one side and three crowns and three lys arranged alternately around
a rose on the other side. The Orb first appeared on some Low Countries
types but predominates on the Nurenburg. The earlier ones have
meaningless legends but by the mid to late 16th century they bear the
maker's name and a religious slogan, such as GOTES SEGEN MACHT REICH
)God's blessing maketh rich) or the serious HEIT RODT MORGEN TODT
(Today red, tomorrow dead)

The pricipal issuers we

Hans Schultes - 1553 - 1584
George Schultes 1515-1559
Hans Schultes 1 1553-1584
Hans Schultes 2 1586-1603
Hans Schultes 3 1608-1612
Damianus Krauwinckel 1543-1581
Egidius Krauwinckel 1570-1613
Hans Krauwinckel 1 1562-1586
Hans Krauwinckel 2 1586-1635
Killianus Koch 1580- ?
Wolf Lauffer 1 1554-1601
Hans Lauffer 1 1584-1632
Matheus Lauffer 1612-1634
Wolf Lauffer 2 1612-1631
Conrad Lauffer 1637-1668
Wolf Lauffer 3 1650-1670
Lazarus Gottleib Lauffer 1663-1709

As for books, here are a few I know of

Barnard F.P. - The Casting Counter and the Counting Board (1917)
Berry George - Medieval English Jettons (1974)
Eklund O.P - The Counters of Nuremberg (1926)
Feuardent F - Jetons et Mereau (1904-15)
Gebert C.F - Die Nurnberger Rechenpfennigschlager (1918)

Mitchener Michael Jetons, Medallets and Tokens
Vol. 1 Mediaeval period & Nuremberg (1988)

Mitchener Michael Jetons, Medallets and Tokens
Vol. 2 The Low Countries & France (1991)

Snelling Thomas - A view of Jettons London (1769)

I hope this information is helpful.

Peter