Old November 17th 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

Default rare-coin broker conned an elderly East Sider

On 11/17/2010 1:08 AM, Jeff R. wrote:
Reid, find*one* - just ONE - individual with genuine experience and/or
qualifications in metal working and/or metallurgy who agrees with your
hypothesis.

You ridiculed me for using the term "plastic deformation" to describe
the process though which the surface metal of a coin is softened and
moved through whizzing, saying the physics of this is impossible. But
this is the same term used to describe whizzing by Tony Clayton, a
former physics teacher who maintains a Web site on coin metals. As he
said: "What does occur is plastic deformation of the surface layers.
This will result in surface metal being moved, in just the same way as
drawing a knife across the surface will result in a scratch with the
moved material forming a narrow raised area on each side."

Allen Stockton, a coin doctor, someone who unlike you actually worked on
coins BEFORE you made your grand conclusions about what happens when
they're worked on, also says metal is moved. So has PCGS in its book
Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection, Brian Silliman of NCS
(Numismatistic Conservation Services) in his Numismatist column and the
ANA in its book A.N.A. Grading Standards for United States Coins. Yes.
You're correct. This is all just my "hypothesis." Or was it what you
said before, that all these people are just copying one another, and
unlike you none of them has a metal shop? Ad infinitioticdum. Like
talking to a brick wall and with the same intelligence. Bye.

But remember to keep bringing this subject up whenever you can in
threads about completely unrelated subjects, and if you continue to
beseech me over the next seven years as you have the past seven to
apologize to you and to this entire group for the effrontery of doubting
your of-so-well established wisdom about this, maybe I'll eventually do
it. Or not. Why not put up some more Web pages too while you're at it,
trying in your buffoonishly sophomoric way to ridicule me, and point out
this clever Web site of yours to others here a couple of dozen more
times in discussions completely unrelated to this subject. Maybe you'll
get me to offer you an apology that way. Nutcase.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom