Old June 8th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jim[_2_]

Default Detective Book Club oddity

On May 30, 9:26 pm, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:

I mentioned Walter Black a couple of months ago with respect to an Erle Stanley
Gardner work, "The Case of the Singing Skirt". There is a dust jacket from
Morrow (Gardner's usual publisher) on it, but the book says Walter Black. The
copyright page says "published by special arrangement with William Morrow & Co."
But when I to an AddALL search for the book, I only get one Walter Black copy,
no Morrow copies. Strange. The Morrow dust jacket contains a $2.95 price, by
the way.

Almost all the Gardner titles went right into a Detective Book Club
volume (according to the Dorothy Hughes bio), and were reprinted by
Black later in various forms, eventually becoming the uniform edition
known as the Gardner Mystery Library.