Old August 8th 03, 06:25 AM
David Wang

Bob Flaminio wrote:
Linda wrote:
What I have gleaned recently from this group but haven't verified
with PCGS, is that PCGS somehow "guarantees" its grade so if the coin
turns out to be a loser, they will compensate you. If that's the
case, do the other services do this, too?

The other three of the "Big 4" (NGC, ANACS, ICG) have similar policies.

I bought this coin holdered in an ICG slab about two years ago
from a B&M auction.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/davewa...sc/ICG_obv.jpg 280K
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/davewa...sc/ICG_rev.jpg 280K

About 6 months after I bought it, I decided to take a really close
look at the coin. To my dismay, I noticed that the reflective surfaces
of the coin does not extend all the way to the devices. On the obverse,
one area to look at is the area around the star directly in front
of lady liberty's nose. On the reverse, the area around the letters
"F" in "OF", and "A" in "AMERICA", the discontinuity can be readily
observed.

After talking to B&M, it was suggested that I send the coin in
to ICG for a review. The coin was reviewed, and came back exactly
as it was, without comments. The grade of MS64 stood. I suppose
that the painted field didn't count for "altered surface", and since
they didn't erroneously give the coin a PL designation, then it
should be MS64, and MS64 it was.

However, I have the feeling that if I should crack out the coin,
I'd never be able to get the coin back into a holder (perhaps I'd
have to send it to NCS first)

Does anyone have thoughts about the "painting"?

Should the surface not count as "altered"?

Since ICG thinks that there's nothing wrong with holdering it
as MS64, I guess MS64 it is, but somehow I feel funny about
this coin knowing that the coin isn't natural in its appearance,
yet it's in a holder...

--
davewang202(at)yahoo(dot)com