Old June 5th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
dorancoins

Default New edition of Standard Catalog of World Paper Money

On Jun 5, 12:23*pm, "Giovanni C. Pettinaro"
wrote:
Hello Matthew and Owen,
* * * I read your thread about Krause Catalog and I think that despite
the many faults of the book, it is still a good reference for World
Paper Money. Nobody nowadays exptects its valuations to be very
accurate, but yet it gives a good overview of all the notes of the many
different Countries in the World. The possibility of having a similar
catalog available as a DB on the net would be wonderful but I suppose
that the great majority of collectors would not take advantage of it.
Most of the community is made of elderly people and they do not feel
that comfortable of interacting with the new technologies. Thus, the
book as of today, it is still the best medium as you can carry it
anywhere and consult it to identify strange notes. What I find sometimes
very annoying with that catalog is when it states that some notes have
different signatures but does not show the different signatures or even
states who signed them. As an example, it is enough that you take
Belgium or even Cayman Islands. It does not say much stating that a note
has signature 15 and 5 if you do not show any table listing them. My
guess is that such tables exist but for some reasons at the time of
editing the data to be placed in the catalog, they "got lost". :-)
Anyway, I still rate it a good catalog, although for determining the
value of a note, you should always rely on a national catalog which is
closer to the market than the old Krause's prices. It would be nice
anyway, if they could show the pictures of the notes in full color.
Nowadays printing in color is not so expensive as it used to be years ago.
* * *Anyway, in case you are interested, the website of my e-store
(http://www.papermoneymarket.com) reports a lot of information about
each Country, including information about exchange rates at the time of
issuing of the notes, currency reforms, etc. I think that people that
shop notes and are note enthusiasts could appreciate these extra
information which in many cases are not reported in Krause. :-)
* * *Well, keep collecting and best regards.

* * *Dr. Giovanni C. Pettinaro
* * *(IBNS LM-166, LANSA 1173).

* * *Pettinaro Bros. World Paper Money Market,
* * *http://www.papermoneymarket.com

Matthew Brealey wrote:
On 5 Jun, 15:17, "Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote:
Take a look at Numismaster and you'll see the emphasis is on coins, not
banknotes. What little note info is up there is US notes, not world notes.
Clearly international paper money collectors don't rank very high on
Krause's list of concerns.

I had a one-month all-access subscription there, and they had a thing
saying "new for our all-access members", saying that they had just
added another guide (on coins I think). They gave the impression that
they will continue adding more publications until all of their stuff
is up there. Also they say "Find my Currency, Search Our Online
Database of Paper Money and Bank Notes", which would suggest that they
plan to have more stuff up there eventually.

I'm certainly not holding my breath though.- Hide quoted text -

Dr. Pettinaro, I must concur with you on the Krause catalogs
entirely. While their handy for looking up strange notes, as far as,
for example, signature varieties, more work needs to be done. When I
try to get a value on, for example, a banknote from Australia, I use
the McDonald book on Australian coins and currency. I have found
things in the book that Pick or Krause has either left out or has no
idea of its existence.