Old August 1st 11, 11:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Don Phillipson[_2_]

Default Book Sale Find - North American History

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message

. . . the Jesuits in Canada were fanatical reporters, sending annual
Relations back to their superiors in France, telling them everything that
happened that year. While I have still to come across a printed set of
these reports, I found yesterday the next best thing: a four volume set
of _Pioneer Priests of North America, 1642 - 1710_ , by Rev. T. J.
Campbell, S.J. of Fordham University, published from 1908 to 1916 (first
printing of each volume and yes it has been reprinted periodically) and
all in very good condition.

The single likeliest source in English is books published by
the Champlain Society, a patriotic/historical society founded
1905. Google searches suggest that its early publications
were as highly redacted as Fr. Campbell's. The Canadian Encyclopedia tells
us
" the Jesuit Relations were avidly and widely read in the 18th century,
along with the works of Cartier and Champlain, as exciting travel
literature. Reuben Gold Thwaites edited 73 volumes as The Jesuit Relations
and Allied Documents, Travels and Explorations of the Jesuit Missionaries in
New France 1610-1791 (1896-1901), presenting annotated parallel versions of
his translations and the French, Latin and Italian original texts."

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs