Old October 1st 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money,rec.collecting.coins
MJKolodziej

Default Got A Counterfeit At The Bank

"But officials said changed their minds in part so they can respond to a
new
scam in which counterfeiters are bleaching the ink off $5 notes and then
printing counterfeit $100 bills on the bleached paper. 'We have to stay
ahead of any threats we see evolving," said Larry Felix, director of the
Bureau of Engraving and Printing'"

Nick

Thanks Nick.

I'd still like to see more posters here back up their statements with
documentation rather than just assuming everyone will take their
statements to be absolute fact.

It's not like everyone is going to believe what's said on USENET and take it
back to the coffee shop and repeat it. Yeah, some are, and I get a kick out
of them sometimes.

The official government declaration to the public for the redesign of the
$5 bill made no mention of the bleaching $5 bills and printing over them.
That's why I asked for supporting evidence, which Michael seemed unable to
do.

Even the article you quote mentions the issuance of the redesigned $5 bill
to be only "in part" due to the bill bleaching, not "precisely why the $5
was recently redesigned" as Mr. Koerner suggests.

I would suggest the reason for the almost full redesign of the $5 bill was
to make it itself less duplicable, rather than to prevent them from being
used to create fake $100 bills out of.

Are you sure? If you were going to counterfeit a bill would you do a $5 or
a $100?

Not surprising to me, that is what the official government link I
quoted earlier stated.

mk
stuck at the coffee shop trying to earn a hunert dollar bill.