Old April 29th 05, 10:47 PM
trippingtoo8track

here's one more

From: (Danspeakin)
Newsgroups: alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Date: 07 Sep 2002 01:53:37 GMT
Subject: When did cassettes take over from eight-tracks?

You have to do a lot of fast forwarding using auto stop to index
8-tracks to the beginning of a channel for recording, but it goes
along pretty fast.

That's if your decks don't start burning up left and right, then you
gotta see "the man", Dan2...lol...

This brings up an issue that I have been meaning to tell you folks.
Over the
years it has become standard operating procedure to replace all the
electrolytic capacitors in tube type equipment. The capacitors dry up
inside
and become ticking time bombs, going POW at inoportune moments.
I hadn't hought about what the life span was on these capacitors until
recently
when I got an Akai in for "motor" problems. The Akai has one of the
best AC
motors in the business and AC motors use big high voltage capacitors to
make
them start up from a dead stop. This Akai had a capacitor exploded all
over
inside it with goo coating all associated components. I guess the
message here
is that these things are getting old enough to need preventative
maintenance
just like the tube equipment has for many years now.
Dan2

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e=source&hl=en