Old April 5th 12, 02:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Floating menu. Was: Evaluation of Philatelic Websites Revisited

"Pierre COURTIADE" wrote in message
Victor Manta wrote :

A disadvantage of your proposal is that it creates a quite big block
of text that is moved on the left site of each page. Compare this
with "my" solution, where I "eat" just two line of text, in a region
where a scrolled text is rarely read.

Hello Victor,

You are right : Alyn's proposal would conduct to reduce too much the
useful text.

Nevertheless I agree with those saying that these scrolling stuffs
are *very* annoying.
As you say they hide two lines of the text, but IMHO this is not
the most important.
What is very boring is that the reader of your page feels offended by this
moving device which scrolls *independantly of his wishes*.
At least it is the case for me. I think that the *only* solution is
to leave this window *steady* at the top of your window.

Hi Pierre and RCSD,

The problem with Alyn's proposal is not that it takes too much space on the
screen, today's screens being quite large. The problem is a rather ergonomic
one, the movement of large blocks of text being per se somehow disturbing.

The wishes of users are very different, and often contradictory. Those who
really feel "offended" by a particular implementation are, IMHO, in the
situation that I describe in what follows. When I was about 30 years old,
and I was sitting in a crowded bus, I noticed a lady, in her late 50th, who
was standing near me. Naturally, I stood up and offered her my place but, to
my big surprise, she took an offended look and admonished me, by shouting
that she is not so old to sit. This was my "reward" for trying to be
useful...

Well, I don't want to be stubborn either, and for this reason if several
readers nevertheless let me know that they feel offended by the movement of
this navbar too, then I will glue it with two hinges to the top of the
scrolling pages (which, btw, is the easiest way).

http://www.pwmo.org/IPHLA/12-evaluation-websites.htm

If any others (Alyn did it already) were commenting also on the contents of
the page, which I'm trying to improve, then I would be even more grateful.
Many TIA.

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/