Old April 4th 12, 10:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Floating menu. Was: Evaluation of Philatelic Websites Revisited

"Alyn" wrote in message
Good morning Victor,

The content of the article seems to be right on, however, I feel that
judging guidelines should be based on, and be similar to those used for
print literature.

For the menu bar, I would propose that you widen the left margin of the
page and have it "float" in the space that is created. That way you can
maintain the variable position, with no impact on the text of the article
being obscured by any scrolling.

Alyn

Hello Alyn and RCSD,

Many thanks for your comments. We talk here about my recent article:

http://www.pwmo.org/IPHLA/12-evaluation-websites.htm

There are similarities between philatelic websites and the printed
literature but there are also important differences, which make the former a
separate category from the later. One example of differences, among many
others, is the second subject of your posting, a problem that doesn't exist
for the printed literature.

A disadvantage of your proposal is that it creates a quite big block of text
that is moved on the left site of each page. Compare this with "my"
solution, where I "eat" just two line of text, in a region where a scrolled
text is rarely read.

Another disadvantage is that the implementation demands the creation of a
large fixed region on the left side, and then we return to the problem that
I tried to explain in my posting to Bill, in this thread.

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/