Old April 4th 12, 02:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Floating menu. Was: Evaluation of Philatelic Websites Revisited

"Billns" wrote in message
On 4/3/2012 12:12 PM, Victor Manta wrote:
"Sir F.A. Rien" wrote in message
On 4/1/2012 11:29 PM, Victor Manta wrote:

http://www.pwmo.org/IPHLA/12-evaluation-websites.htm

Your feedback is welcomed.

Your floating menu bar is ok when scrolling down, but flies back up when
scrolling up. It is your choice, of course, but I would have left the menu
bar fixed at the top of the page and have it disappear as the reader
scrolls through your document.

Apparently nobody ever puts "return to top" links in a scrolling window
anymore.

Bill

Thanks for commenting.

The obvious disadvantage of putting a fixed menu bar in a scrolling windows
is that it disappears when scrolling. One has to scroll back to reach the
menu bar, operation that can be tedious for longer pages (and sometimes they
have to be long).

The "simple" idea is to create a fixed region, in my case on the top of all
pages and to put the navbar there. But how to do it in a simple way? The
simplest is to use frames but they have many, known disadvantages. Another
solution is to use SSI, but one has to get access to them on the server
which is another pain. I have tried something by using CSS but so far
unsuccessfully, because I couldn't run the navbar's JS code in it.

An easy solution is welcomed.

--
Victor Manta