Old July 18th 04, 01:58 PM
Joe Schell

In article ,
says...
On 18 Jul 2004 07:55:08 GMT,
(Malanutt 4 Life)
wrote:

I know people get tired of these posts about the $1 bill redesign over and over
again but I heard a rumor on the wheregeorge.com website someone posted that
went like this:

"Yesterday I was speaking to a manager of local McDonalds. He said that a bank
teller he spoke with told him two strange things that I don't believe:

1 - Bill cleaning:
Banks will be cleaning bills soon. Any writing or stamps on bills will be
cleaned off in a solution of some kind. I highly doubt banks would take the
time to clean every bill with writing of some kind on them. (How many bills do
you come across with numbers or letters written on them?)

Tom,
If they come up with a solution that will disolve any kind of
writing or stamping, what happens to the printing? It's kind of like
that joke about the scientist who develops a solution that will
disolve anything. The problem, of course, is that there's no way to
store it.

2 - Redesign of the $1bill:
The portrait will be changed to be similar to the other bills and color
security features will be added to the $1 bill. The last I read, the BEP was
not planning on changing the $1 bill as it was not counterfeited enough to
warrent the extra costs.

I know I should consider the source (no offense to any fast food managers), but
has anyone heard about either of these two changes planned for the $1 bill?"

I would say that "consider the source" should apply to the bank
teller. To be charitable, they (as a group) are not the most accurate
of sources concerning what's going to happen with the nation's coins
and currency.

Not only that, but consider what would have to happen for it to be
true:

The BEP would have to be lying about there being no plans to redesign
the bill. Governments lie for a lot of stupid reasons, but for no
reason at all?

The bank teller would have to have been told by someone who knows.
Assuming that the teller is not a close personal friend of John
Snow's, Snow would have had to make the decision, tell someone who
told someone, who told someone, etc. until we get to the bank teller
who was told about this secret plan, and nobody blabbed, except the
person who told teller.

take care,
Scott
"off to fetch the relative bearing grease..."

What do you guys think of these rumors? I thought it was interesting, but doubt
its true. I could see redesigning the $1 bill ( and $2 bill) to match the
higher denominations (large portrait, simple boarder, and low-vision numeral),
but I can't see them adding the color.

Tom

Geez, I heard they were going to do away with the 1 dollar bill.(My
barber told me.)
--
"Copper is as copper does."

Joecoin