Old September 3rd 03, 01:59 AM
TC

On 1 Sep 2003 23:21:06 -0700, (Joe) wrote:

I would like to know what you think of mint & used stamps.

In Scott (USA) & Yvert & Tellier (French) catalogue both mint & used
stamps have the same value, ( more recent ones from 1980 to nowadays)
& in Stanley Gibbons, it is the contrary, that is recent used stamps
have more value than mint (in general)

Could you tell me what is your opinion about it? I am using as
example Mauritius stamps, it may be different for other countries.

Do you consider that used recent stamps ( from the past 30 years or
so) are more valuable than mint ones or not?

Are you willing to purchase used stamps at higher than what you
normally accept for mint stamps for your collection?

Many things dictate value.

Popularity of Topic and Country, numbers of stamps issued,
numbers of stamps postally used, the method that the collectors
of those stamps prefer them (mint or used), etc...

Modern Canada are quite common used, so mint are more
(at least face value for postage).

Postally used stamps and covers from smaller places such
as the various camps of the British Antarctic Territory or
South Georgia would be scarcer than mint and command a premium
by stamp dealers.

Bottom line is supply and demand.
Collect what you like and remember to have FUN.

Blair