Old August 15th 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.collecting,rec.antiques,rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default Need help identifying antique book

I know this is a long shot, but I figured I'd give it a try anyway.

I've inherited a photo that is probably my grandfather, we're guessing
he's about 10 years old so about 1907:
http://www.sc3.net/Clifford/Portrait.png
I'm trying to learn what I can about this portrait, one clue is the
book he's holding:
http://www.sc3.net/Clifford/Hands.png

One theory is that this is a confirmation photo, so maybe the pin on
his pocket "CE" stands for Christian Education (his initials are WCJ),
in which case he should be holding a religious book of some sort?

I don't think it's a book - looks more like a photo mounted with
a cover. Maybe of his mother? Perhaps the significance is that
she died shortly before the picture was taken?

There will be more information on the photo and any frame it might
have - especially the name and address of the photographer, which
you can look up in old business directories to bracket the date.
It's obviously a professional studio job, shot against a painted
backdrop, and his face looks retouched.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******