Old December 20th 12, 05:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

Default Photos of the 19th and early 20th century

On 12/19/2012 12:33 AM, dobra wrote:
'Sir F.A. Rien[_2_ Wrote:
;693862']I do not see any tax stamps or other philatelic significance on
any of
your items. Is there any -=or=- are you just trolling for hits?

I apologize for the wrong photos. Here are photos with the stamps

A postcard of the Kingdom of Bavaria with a girl in national costume of
1900
[image:
http://distory.com/system/thumbs/att.../photo001.jpg]

A photo with a card with a common stamp pasted on is not too
interesting. One showing both side would be nicer. (I found the reverse
on the site and see that the images are paired.)

A postcard of the Kingdom of Bavaria of September 20, 1888
[image:
http://distory.com/system/thumbs/att.../photo001.jpg]

A photo of postal cards with preprinted 'stamps' (indicia) are more
interesting as they are not found in stamp catalogs other than country
specialized catalogs. The 'stamp' image may or may not be similar to a
regular stamp.

Petition of the priest for admission to trading on the forest of
February 14, 1879 (Russian empire)
[image:
http://distory.com/system/thumbs/att.../photo001.jpg]

I am pretty sure that the stamp here is not a postage stamp but a
revenue documentary tax stamp. So I think the priest had to pay to
submit the petition as an official document. There have been similar
revenue stamps in US history (especially civil war and after).

I have some items that would fit this site, so I might submit. But
http://distory.com/user/sign-up#
has a Terms of Use link that links to the very same page instead of the
Terms of Use page. So while I am signing up, I will not submit until I
can see the Terms of Use.

The content section of
http://distory.com/page/terms-of-use
is blank.