Old October 12th 03, 02:29 PM
A.Gent

"Michael E. Marotta" wrote in message
m...
"A.Gent" wrote
"Reid Goldsborough" wrote
... In the August issue of the Celator,

Gee, I am sorry that I could not find the original post. I got an
error message:
Message id or article number
not found.

I searched for ELECTRUM in the title from August 8 forward and found
only A. Gent and Phil DeMayo, for a total of two posts.

I searched for "electrum" in the body from October 1 forard and got
the same result.

I am crestfallen...

However, there is an upside! I have discovered that A. Gent is a
Celator reader with an interest in ancients. That is a pleasant
surprise.

Mike M.
ANA R-162953

Hi Mike.
Prepare to raise your crest.
(I note the original post is showing on Google yet either - just my reply
and Phil's.)
Not to worry.
Here is the original post:

=======================
"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
Coins are history as much as they are money. Many find the history and
the art more appealing than the finance and the economics. And the
further back you go, the more interesting it gets. Go all the way back
to the first coins, and you reach, among other things, an entirely
different metal. Electum.

Ever since the first century A.D. Roman naturalist and writer Pliny in
his Natural History (33.80-1) defined electrum as gold alloyed
naturally or artificially with 20 percent or more silver, scholars
have used this definition. In the August issue of the Celator, in an
article titled "Electrum," Michael Marotta broke free from this long
tradition and defined it differently, as gold alloyed with any
appreciable amount of silver. Thus, Saints and other U.S. gold coins
"qualify as electrum issues." And the ancients used electrum, not
gold, for hundreds of years after the introduction of coinage, not for
a generation or two, as everyone else believes, before most minting
authorities switched over to bimetalic coinage.

A very interesting perspective. Change the meaning of words, and you
can rewrite history. The article includes some very nice coins, all
the ancient ones being from CNG.

I'm immersed right now in the issue of these first coins. Fascinating
stuff. Talking about paradigm changes.

--

Coin Collecting: Consumer Guide:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide

========================

Now, I knew that you didn't need me to defend you, but I couldn't resist
putting in my tuppence...

As to my interests:

Eclectic.
I own exactly *one* genuine ancient, and one knock-off of an Athena tet.
(Like to read about them, though)
I like most numis fields (except modern commems - urgghhh) but my real
interest lies in Aussie colonial coinage (read: British, c. 1770-1911) and
mainly the so-called "Proclamation Coins" of 1800.

Anyways, I'll leave you to compose a reply to the above.
Its nearly midnight in Sydney - I've got work in seven hours - so I'm off.

Cheers all