Old September 13th 04, 01:17 AM
Dik T. Winter

In article Padraic Brown writes:
Indeed. And another (Christian, I think) was in on that one as well. I
simply find it worth a sarcastic remark that euroland went to all the
trouble to GET RID of low value notes and replace them with coins. A
sensible move, in my opinion. And now they want to go back to the old
situation?

I think the situation is a bit involved. In the Netherlands nothing was
gotten rid off. The smallest note was DFL 10, EUR 5 is only slightly
more. The largest coin was DFL 5, and EUR 2 is a bit less. Something
similar in Germany, where the smallest note of 5 Mark barely did
circulate, but the 5 Mark coin was widely used. In Ireland the smallest
note was 5 punt, about equal to EUR 5. I do not know what the value of
the smallest Finnish note was, but I suspect something similar. So in
those countries virtually nothing was changed. As I understand it the
move only comes from Italy, Austria and Greece, and they had indeed some
really small value notes. In the other countries the cut-off between
coins and notes was also higher, so that the new cut-off was not much
higher than before.

It will take some more time for this to settle.